Wednesday, September 3, 2008

"Thea rt of my heart is the heart of my art" 4-19-08


This was my very first painting i ever did (not including finger painting and water colors when i was a little kid). so here's a little back story behind this painting, it was in April 2008, and my best friend Nick was in town from Kansas getting tattooed at our favorite tattoo shop (Bay Area Tattoos) and me and my other good friend Daniel were just chilling up there watching Nick get a sweet tattoo from the owner Bill Greenman. of course like our normal adventures to the tattoo shop, it was gunna be an all nighter before Nick's piece was finished. so me and Daniel stayed up there for several hours, at least until 2 or 3 a.m., watching and visiting with out friends and some of the other artists in the shop. then we finally decided to leave, and since Nick was gunna be in town for a few more days and the three of us wanted to hang out again the next day, Daniel decided to just stay the night at my house. so him and i get back to my place, go inside to my room and start listening to some music and just visiting. we started talking about art and how we both wish we could paint. Daniel started talking about how he wanted to learn to do water colors, because a few days earlier he had been up at the tattoo shop watching Bobby (one of the tattoo artists that works there) using water colors. and i started talking about how i wanted to learn to paint with acrylics since i know if i ever decided to sale some of my art no one would ever pay money for my pencil drawings since the majority of them were done on rice paper. so we talked for a wile about our desires to learn to paint, then we realized the sun had already came up and there was NO way either of us were going to be able to go to sleep now. so i said to Daniel, "well do you want to start painting? ya know since we're not gunna go to sleep now?" and he loved the idea! so we jumped in his car and drove up the road to the wal-mart here in Kemah and went straight to the arts and crafts department. Daniel grabbed a small package of cheap brushes and a pack of starter acrylic paints, and i grab the obviously appropriate choice for me, the "acrylics painting for dummies" starter kit, which came with several brushes, paints, pallets, tools, and a book on how to learn to paint. then we grabbed some cheap canvas pallets and checked out. on our way back to my house we stopped at sonic to get some drinks to help keep us awake while we discussed what the each of us wanted to paint. Daniel decided he wanted to do some thing abstract, and i decided i simply wanted to do something with the words "the art of my heart is the heart of my art" some were in it. Daniel quickly snapped to it and said "you should paint a big heart in the middle of it then take some broken shards of a mirror and glue then in the middle of the heart so then when you look at it you see yourself, because your art comes from YOUR heart, and the heart of your art is what you feel inside!" i loved the idea! so when we got home i found a mirror, smashed it with a hammer and got some shards and we both sat down and started painting. by the time i had finally finished this painting i decided not to glue the shards of glass to it, it was an awesome idea don't get me wrong! but i just felt it would take away from all the hard work i just did on painting this big reddish heart! so i left it how it was, and that's when i started painting and a whole new world of art was opened up to me.

No comments: